"I bought myself a parrot that could talk, but it did not say 'I'm hungry', so it died."--Mitch Hedberg
Worst....Blog....EVER.
now 100% montas-approved!

Thursday, September 22, 2005

All hail the kings...


...of comedy and drama television. Both Arrested Development and Lost are back for the new season, Lost for its second and AD for its third. Although these shows are very different, they also have many similarities. Both are incredibly smart, original programs. Both have large casts. And both of these shows kick too many kinds of ass than I have extremities to count.

Arrested Development premiered Monday at 8 on Fox. This show is, as far as I am concerned, the greatest comedy I have ever seen. In my LIFE. And pretty much anyone else who watches it will tell you that. I'm not even really gonna bother describing it here, because whatever I come up with is gonna fall way short of what it actually is. Just know this: the show is absolutely, @#*&ing hilarious. And the weird thing is that I hated it the first time I saw it. It took me a few episodes to really get into it, but once I did, I REALLY got into it. And you will too, if you give it a chance.

The problem is that as brilliant as this show is, nobody watches it. Despite all the critical acclaim, despite winning the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series last year, viewers just don't see to understand that this is a good show. In fact, the premiere had some very, VERY low ratings. I hear that it took Seinfeld three seasons to really catch on, so I hope that's what could happen with this season of AD. But from the looks of it, that's a false hope. I'm begging any and everyone who's reading this to check out the first season DVD if you've never seen it before. You can get it through Netflix, Blockbuster, or even the library. If you want to see one of the best shows on TV right now, you owe it to yourself to check this out. This isn't all bull. I wouldn't be plugging it this shamelessly if it wasn't a good show.

Next up is Lost. I'm sure everyone's heard of this show, but in case you haven't: it's basically about a group of people whose plane crashes off-course in an uncharted island where strange and mysterious things happen. Their stories pre-island are told every episode in flashback format. That's it in a nutshell. This is probably the best network drama currently on TV, and that's saying a lot, what with other greats like Veronica Mars, Prison Break, and 24. Lost's intelligent writing and superb acting are consistent from episode to episode. Lost is probably the most suspenseful (until 24 returns anyways) and definitely the most inventive show in a long time.

Last season's finale left a lot of unanswered questions, from "What was in the hatch they opened?" to "Who were those guys who took Walt and how on EARTH did Jin, Michael, and Sawyer survive without their raft?" to "WTF? Was that really the monster?!?" Well, this premiere managed to answer one of those questions, and I was entirely, 100% pleased with the reveal of what was under the hatch. There be SPOILERS here,


for anyone who doesn't want to know: there's a man living under the island in a sealed hatch. The guy just lives his life, apparently, with a lot of outdated music and technology (so he must have been there a while). Locke and Kate are the first to go down, then Jack follows. He can't find either of them until he sees Locke being held at gunpoint by--Desmond!! The dude we just saw in Jack's flashback! OH SNAP!! But the best part--on the other side of the door to the hatch, it said QUARANTINE. The hatch was locked from the INSIDE, and the door read QUARANTINE from the INSIDE.....so it's not what's down the hatch that's been quarantined, it's the whole, @#*&ing ISLAND!!! Desmond must have locked himself up there because of something--


SPOILERS ARE DONE NOW

Okay, okay, I need to calm down because I get so AMPED when I talk about Lost. I can't wait for next week's episode.

Anyways, if you can't tell by my unabashed love for these two shows, they're worth checking out. Do yourself a favor...you won't regret it.

Again, Arrested Developent is on Mondays at 8PM on Fox, and Lost is on Wednesdays at 9PM on ABC.

4 Comments:

Blogger Squid said...

They are definitely the kings! And not like the Kings of England who were evil and such. More like the Kings that never ruled the US, because we've never had kings here. Because we're a democracy. Did you know that?
Okay, got a little off topic. Anyway, I shall join you on the ground and grovel with you for anyone...ANYONE to please watch Arrested Develompent. I don't know if I will be able to go on with out it. Just give it a simple chance.
On to LOST...I didn't even consider the fact that the whole island was quarantined, I just assumed it meant that the man was quarantined from the world. But I guess your idea also makes sense. I'm very interested to see what's happened with the people out on their rafts, especially the fate of Walt!

6:43 PM

 
Blogger The Ravenous Pedestrian said...

As we discussed in APUSH today, does it have any significance that the guy's name is John Locke? And if it does, keep us posted.

Also I just might take your advice and watch AD, but I often don't want to or don't have time to watch tv.

10:33 AM

 
Blogger Fred Montas, Jr. said...

Good post, but I wonder if AD is really the funniest show ever. What used to be your funniest show(s) before Arrested Development? What makes Arrested Development funnier than that show (or those shows)?

7:36 PM

 
Blogger Rob said...

Let's see...donno if that was rhetorical or not, but what the heck.

Before Arrested, my favorite comedy was probably Andy Richter Controls The Universe, a really short lived amazingly brilliant show...

and before THAT, I think that The Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle, and Invader Zim would probably be toward the top of my list.

Before THAT, the funniest show I watched was like Rugrats, but I'm guessing you don't want me to go back that far.

AD is so much better than all of these shows because it is perhaps the one comedy that really rewards its faithful viewers. Each episode is packed with self-referential in-jokes that only the most diehard fans can pick up, and it makes the show that much funnier. Not to mention that they tend to poke fun at recent developments concercing the show in the real world.

For instance, after the second season's episode order was reduced from 22 to 18, there was a scene in the next episode of Michael on the phone complaining about their order for building houses being reduced from 22 to 18. And in last night's episode, Michael told his dad (played by Jeffrey Tambor) "That's a really great performance...you're a regular Brad Garrett." and Brad Garrett was the actor who beat out Jeffrey Tambor for the Best Supporting Actor Emmy.

Little things like that, combined with the style of the humor, make it the best show on TV for me.

7:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home